this is your birthday song, it isn’t very long

1796943745_09b0193ba7
And now, today, this actual day today—November the first—is my actual, true birthday. Every time I have talked about my birthday previous to this, over the past few weeks, someone has wished me a happy birthday in the comments, and I felt very guilty that I had inadvertently mislead you all and…what? Ruined everyone’s lives? I’m not sure why, exactly, guilt has kicked in, but it has, and that is because I am so old and going to die alone and really what’s the point and the world’s going to end soon anyway, so who cares? Now wish me happy birthday!

I tend to get very melancholy on my birthday, and not because I feel old or used up or washed out or in the gutter or overeasy or any of a whole bunch of other prepositional clichés. Birthdays just feel big and important and big and important things make me feel small and unimportant and then I get sad and swill gin and wonder if anyone has ever really loved me or ever will. Look, there I go again.

Today, though, I’m going to get through with a minimum of drama and self-pity (unless it is the comedic kind, oh woe! And involves a fainting couch, because cool!) and a maximum of feeling good and pampered and happy and pretty and also pretty fabulous (above: getting pretty! a photo by Melinda). On the agenda, we have a manicure and pedicure—shiny! Eyebrows, waxed; hair, cut; drinks, down my gullet. Happiness, complete. Especially if I make time, somewhere in there, to buy myself some sassy new panties and maybe a giant bottle of the lavender L’Occitane foaming bath stuff I love so much and must have because without it I will die and what’s the point?

Maybe I need to add a massage, and a facial, and a diamond pony and some sandwiches or something.

16 comments for “this is your birthday song, it isn’t very long

1. November 1, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Oh, your hair and your eyes! You are absolutely stunning! Happy Birthday. For real.

2. November 1, 2007 at 12:38 pm

Happy, happy birthday!!

I hope there are many lovely drinks and lavender baths for you.

3. C
    November 1, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Happy real, live official birthday!

4. Loretta
    November 1, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Happy Birthday!

5. November 1, 2007 at 1:41 pm

OHHH wow i love the new hair colour, you saucy wench you :)

(it’s my birthday today, too… hurrah for November 1! hope you have a fab day)

November 1, 2007 at 2:10 pm

Well, FINALLY :)

Wishing you the happiest of birthdays, sexy (lovin’ the new raven locks!). Sounds like you have a fabulous day planned. You deserve it.

I hope this is a wonderful day of fun and drinks and more fun and drinks and also maybe some reflection on what a year it’s been and the incredible things that (I know) lie ahead.

7. November 1, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Happy Birthday! I dig the pirate lady picture on the wall.

8. Mom
    November 1, 2007 at 3:01 pm

Wow! Anne, you and I survived 34th years and we made it together. I love you so much. HAPPY BIRTHDAY and at least another 34 or more for you and maybe even me.

9. spacedcowgirl
    November 1, 2007 at 4:00 pm

Happy birthday!! Also, that is a GORGEOUS picture and I love your hair so much.

10. November 2, 2007 at 5:14 am

happy birthday

11. November 2, 2007 at 9:56 am

I hope you had a wonderful birthday Anne! You look beautiful as always!!

Cheers!

12. Tara
    November 2, 2007 at 12:17 pm

Happy, Happy (belated) Birthday!!

I hope your day was fantastic and the year to come will be just as wonderful!

I, too, LOVE the new color. It’s strange, I envied your reds now I’m envious of the black. Oh what to do!?!

Have a fantastic Friday! May the hangover be small and manageable! ;)

13. November 2, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Thank you, everyone! It was an excellent day, and I’m a lucky girl.

14. sally
    November 5, 2007 at 10:57 am

Hi Anne,
    Happy, happy day–belated. I hope you are still celebrating. My daughter always has a “Birthday Festival” since she lives in 2 houses. I hearby declare the first 2 weeks of November Anne’s Birthday Festival. Let the Wild Rumpus Continue!

15. Karen
    November 30, 2007 at 1:50 pm

I just discovered your blog from a link on Jeanette’s (Half Of Me) blog. We appear to have a lot in common. We have the same birthday (Exactly one year apart) and I always feel the same way on my birthday. Nobody loves me Boo Hoo. I don’t know why I get that way every year. I am on a weight loss journey as well, losing 40 lbs in the past 7 months. I look forward to reading more of your blog.

16. Karen