hello, i am pretty

Usually, when this happens, it is because of an outside force meeting the immovable object that is my self-esteem and my inability to truly believe, over long periods of time and through swamps and over hills and down into valleys and in ditches, that I have good qualities. The story goes how I was feeling fat/ugly/weird-looking/zitty/strange/dumb, but someone looked at me and said Wonderful Thing about my Beauty, either Inner, Outer, or Both, and I had an epiphany about my true, excellent self, and I felt that this was a real turning point for the way I feel about myself and the way I carry my little pea brain around inside my pointy head.

And it’s a magical story full of wonder, and you want to cheer about how beautiful it is to truly understand and have faith your goodness and your expression of that goodness in the world and how sometimes, when someone sees something in you, it is the most meaningful connection you will ever experience with a human being outside of one you have either just birthed or who has given you a pony.

But the holy grail of self-esteem, the goal and the point and purpose of developing a strong sense of self, a core, a line of pure white light that burns up your center and explodes out the top of your head, is absolute autonomy. To not worry what other people think about you, to not rely on the opinions of people who are not sharing space in your head, to be utterly self-sufficient and absolutely confident, to be a pillar of self-fueling, flaming awesome that will never burn out.

It’s terribly rare for most people, I think, and that is a terrible thing. You look in the mirror, and you want to say “Oh my god, I am so hot I want to make out with myself immediately.” You want to say my god, I am sexy, good lord I am lovely, check out those gams and would you look at those nicely turned ankles and madam, truly your eyes are the spectacular double-hung bay windows into the very best soul the world has ever seen. Except that you have a sense of modesty, and a sense of absurdity, a sense that you’d be kind of an asshole to say anything complimentary about yourself. That you need to wait around for someone to point out your good qualities before you are allowed to have any. You don’t need to be told to believe anything else in your life—why do you need to be told to believe that you are beautiful? Why do we wait? Why is it so often hard to admit to ourselves, and then so impossible to admit to anyone else?

Usually I wait. I say oh, thank you! And I blush. That indicates that I have never thought that I had Good Quality, and thank you for bringing Good Quality to light for me! Today, though, I surprised myself into it. At the nail salon, a before-the-wedding event for E’s soon-to-be sister-in-law. I was paying, and I glanced up to find the other ladies in our party of Ladies Who Lunch and Also Get Sparkly Pedicures, and I noticed a girl at the other end of the room and I thought man, she is so cute, as you do, and you know how this story ends—it was me, in the mirror, disoriented by the angle and the unexpectedness of the mirror being there across from me and the light and the sun in my eyes and the Astroturf.

But there is no getting out of it, when you are startled into truth. I walked over, pretending that I was examining the rack of scarves and bags but what I was doing was staring in Fascinated Wonder. Hey, yo, holy crap. Look at me. I am a girl you’d think “wow,” about. I am beautiful, right there in the mirror. I would make out with me, and I wouldn’t even have to be that drunk. I really am beautiful, and no one had to tell me.

Of course my sense of self-awareness kicked in pretty rapidly, and I felt like a jackass and embarrassed and stupid and then I thought no. Fuck you, sad little organ-grinding part of my brain. You are taking the night off. You’re going to say it out loud. Say it. Say it. No? Okay. Maybe we will let you off the hook with the self-affirmation exercises in the mirror.

Writing this feels pretty much as naked and absurd—oh my god you guys, I am so totally pretty! But listen—this is something you want to do. This is something you want to think about yourself. This is a five minute stretch you want to put in, in front of a mirror. You want to say holy crap, I am a golden god, just the once. I promise you it is an amazing feeling. An amazing, no-bullshit, tell-it-like-it-is kind of exhilaration. It feels good, and it’s so good for you, too. Please tell me how pretty you are.

Photo by karen_d

21 comments for “hello, i am pretty

1. July 9, 2009 at 9:27 am

“I would make out with me, and I wouldn’t even have to be that drunk.” HA!

I admit that I am only just now to starting to see beauty in myself, which is kind of sad, but also kind of wonderful.

July 9, 2009 at 9:54 am

Because there is seriously a website for everything: http://www.beckymartz.com/c/chiquita/chiquita%20slogans/index.htm

3. July 9, 2009 at 11:39 am

I am totally not buying that I am a golden god. yet.

4. July 9, 2009 at 12:04 pm

i am SO pretty! my eyes truly are those, “spectacular, double-hung bay windows into the very best soul the world has ever seen.” i love it, and thank you! what’s up with everything we believe automatically anyway–about ourselves, the world, relationships. . . whatever!–sooo difficult to sort out. loving ourselves should not be added to that list. you ARE a golden god.

5. Keri
    July 10, 2009 at 6:58 am

I am so glad you are writing again! I LOVE YOU!

6. Kim
    July 11, 2009 at 6:37 am

I had a moment like that on a smaller scale this morning. I was getting dressed to take a morning walk and caught a glimpse in the mirror, something I’ve tried to avoid lately. Then I looked and thought, “Hey, not bad!” For me, this was a hee-yooge step.
    I’m glad it happened to you. Because take it from this girl you’ve never met: You are hot.

7. July 29, 2009 at 8:33 pm

this i amazing. those moments where you REALLY appreciate yourself – visually or in any other way – are so magical. i wish they happened more often, but then i suppose they wouldn’t feel so special…

8. Monica
    August 2, 2009 at 7:59 pm

I’m really glad you’re writing again, Jen. You are a good and funny writer, and reading your blog makes me happy.

Also: I have awesome hair. For most of my life I have hated my hair, and people have said, “Your hair is so pretty and you are so lucky,” and I have said “No, it is a frizzy mess.” And then I got an amazing haircut and figured out the right combination of product to beat it into submission and now I totally have awesome wonderful beautiful amazing hair. Also my boobs are pretty sexy.

9. kat
    August 4, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I can’t believe I found you! I lost you when Elastic Waist went down, but you were here all along. Thank goodness. You are fabulous!

10. September 16, 2009 at 11:45 am

I needed to read this today – and somehow, found it!!!!

Thank you so much! Body image. What an inexplicably delicious topic. Women of the World, Unite! We don’t have to fall prey to the mainstream. :)

THANK YOU!!!!!

11. October 13, 2009 at 1:45 pm

MISS YA!

12. October 28, 2010 at 4:06 am

Hair extensions are made from a range of human and synthetic fibers. Synthetic fibers include Kanekalon and Toyokalon**.

13. November 16, 2010 at 8:45 pm

i frequent hair salons because i always want to keep my hair in top shape :;*

14. June 1, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I like what you guys are up too. This sort of clever work and reporting! Keep up the terrific works guys I’ve added you guys to blogroll.

15. August 30, 2011 at 6:03 pm

In case you are as well as could vinylacetate breastfeeding a baby when you [i]pancreatitis caused by lisinopril pharmaceutical interaction[/i] colestipol, presiona with all your medical professional.

16. February 2, 2017 at 5:54 am

чат – гомель город, чат.

17. February 3, 2017 at 2:17 am

продажа цветного металлопроката – медная проволока цена, латунный пруток цена.

18. February 3, 2017 at 6:24 am

дизайнерский ремонт – дизайн интерьера ванной комнаты в квартире, сколько стоит ремонт квартиры.

19. February 6, 2017 at 12:59 pm

Таиланд. Любые туры в Паттайя. Такси От тайской тур агентства Русалочка. Все описания туров, цены и фото нужно перейти по ссылке Телефон в Тайланде (WhatsApp, Viber, Line, Telegram): +66–861559142 http://www.rusalochka.asia/tseny-prajsy-i-stoimost-3/tailand-tseny-ekskursij-v-pattaje

20. Michelunoky
    February 10, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Есть такая услуга – добровольное медицинское обслуживание .
    Она предполагает, что вы платите небольшую сумму за абонемент и ходит на прием целый год бесплатно.
    Однако соцопросы показали, что лишь 3% жителей города знают об этом.
    По какой причине?
    Да потому что частным клиникам выгоднее брать плату за каждый визит.
    А если честный врач попытается рассказать про добровольное медицинское обслуживание клиенту – это сулит ему увольнением.
    Эта информация уже спровоцировала много скандалов, сразу после того как информацию об этом распространил один возмущенный врач.
    Его уволили “по собственному желанию”, после того, как он посоветовал ДМО своему пациенту.
    Самое невероятное, что информация по ДМО находятся в открытом доступе, просто находили на эту информацию только случайные люди.
    Как отстоять свои права?
    О правилах оказания услуги и обязанностях частных клиник можно узнать, сделав запрос в Яндексе: “добровольное медицинское обслуживание”.
    Обязательно обслуживание, а не страхование.

34j5c6h86